High temperature reactor applications
The Thorium High Temperature Reactor (THTR) was built in Germany in the early 1980`s and very well instrumented for commissioning. Using the data from one of its steam generators, the capability of Flownex to calculate the temperatures is demonstrated by the graph on the left.
The steam generator model is discretised and as such, it offers the following:
- User-specified heat transfer correlations.
- Boiling-regime dependent friction factor/heat transfer coefficient.
- Detection of Critical Heat Flux (CHF) conditions.
- Any combination of primary-to-secondary fluid types (liquid metal/molten salt/gas/two-phase water).
- Steam generator integrated with the rest of the plant.
- Transient response.